How easily we stigmatise the thought that toys are only for kids. Whenever we see an adult with a toy, it’s a matter of humour for us. However, somewhere we also strive to go back to our childhood and experience the same joy we used to have.
At Havi.co, we conducted a survey. We asked 82 adults if they like to play with toys. What do you think is the solicited response? No?
We solicited the same. Can adults still like toys?
Surprisingly, 66 of the 82 confessed that they love to spend time with toys.
We dug deeper to understand why it is essential for adults to spend some time with toys. How can grown-ups use their time with toys in their regular life to overcome the stigma?
Here we go.
Importance of Play in Adulthood
As eerie as it sounds to ask these questions to ourselves, why do grown-ups need to play too? Is it good for adults to play with toys? Or Why do adults buy LEGO? these questions are simply answered by understanding the importance of play in adulthood. Following are a few points to help you understand the same.
1. Stress relief: Playing with toys, such as puzzles or adult colouring books, can help reduce stress and anxiety in grown-ups. A study published in the International Journal of Behavioral Medicine found that colouring mandalas, a geometric pattern, significantly reduced stress levels in adults.
2. Cognitive benefits: Playing with toys can also have cognitive benefits for adults. For example, puzzles and brainteasers can help improve memory, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. A study published in the Journal of Aging and Physical Activity found that older adults who regularly engaged in mentally stimulating activities, such as playing with puzzles, had a lower risk of developing cognitive decline.
3. Physical benefits: Some toys, such as balls or hula hoops, can provide physical benefits for adults. These toys can help improve coordination, balance, and overall fitness. A study published in the Journal of Sport and Health Science found that hula hooping can improve cardiovascular fitness in adults.
4. Social benefits: Playing with toys can also have social benefits for adults. For example, board games or card games can be a fun way to spend time with friends and family. A study published in the Journal of Leisure Research found that playing board games with others can improve adults’ social connections and overall well-being.
5. Creative expression: Some toys, such as art supplies or musical instruments, can help adults tap into their creativity and express themselves in new ways. A study published in the Journal of Applied Arts and Health found that adults who are regularly engaged in creative activities, such as painting or playing music, had improved mental well-being.
Now that we know, toys are not only for children but also suitable for adults. We further went ahead to understand the favorite toys of adults in today’s age.
And the response we received was as follows.
Top 6 Children’s Toys that are loved by adults too:
Here’s a list of the top 6 toys that are generally considered to be children-friendly, however, those topped the scoreboards when asked to adults for their liking even after growing up.
1. Lego Sets
2. Rubik’s Cube
3. Havi Elements
Did you try children’s toys as an adult to build something new, explore your creative side, or sharpen your brain? We have shared our findings with you already. If you have tried any, do share your experience and share your favourite toy in the comments section.